WELCOME

WELCOME TO THE CAKE LOVERS BLOGGERY (JUST ANOTHER DAY IN CAKE PARADISE...)

23 November 2011

The Art of Decorating.

THE ART OF CAKE DECORATING
TODAY...

My  heart says...Real cake decorating is a dying art -  we have substituted royal icing for sugarpaste/fondant and we hate piping.  I think we should return to the old ways.  Bring back intricate piping, line work and smocking where real skill and artistry is required everything was done by hand - not just using all-in-one mould and cutters!  A job that's done well is really appreciated, but because we are living in a time and culture of ..."we want everything yesterday!", has removed, in my view, the respect that used to be afforded to cake decorators.   I'd love to see real cake art so that we can appreciate real workmanship.  Bring back the OLD SCHOOL methods.  BUT  My head says...Since cake decorating has become more accessible to all, helped along with dynamic television programmes there has been a resurgence in the interest in cake decorating.  There are more modern designs with higher expectations on results, cakes are not just round, square  or numbers we are seeing sculpting, photographs and a range of colours...so which is better? Old vs New School of thought.....Mmmm I wonder?


1 comment:

  1. I love the new look of fondant icing but I loved basketweave decorating so I'm currently in agreement with you Collette! I could spend hours piping now! :)

    ReplyDelete